Lifeguards: Bridgend - Whitmore to Rest Bay
Lifeguards: Bridgend - Whitmore to Rest Bay
Our purpose is simple, to save lives at sea. Since 1824 the RNLI has been working to save those who are in danger of drowning.
In 2019, our beach lifeguard team helped 29,334 people and attended 17,356 incidents. Our presence can mean the difference between a great day at the beach and a tragedy. We cover more than 240 beaches around the UK and the Channel Islands.
About the role
Being an RNLI lifeguard puts you at the front line of lifesaving. Our lifeguards:
- help people stay safe while they enjoy the beach, sharing practical safety advice with beach goers to help prevent incidents before they happen
- physically rescue anyone who does get into trouble.
The job varies depending on where you're working. From busy resort beaches to semi-rural surf beaches, every beach has its own characteristics and challenges. Lifeguards can operate from static lifeguard units or with patrols. Rescue boards and tubes are most commonly used but, depending on the beach, lifeguards also use quad bikes, four-wheel drives, rescue watercrafts (RWCs or ‘jet skis’) and surf rescue boats.
There are four different levels of lifeguard, from newly qualified, right through to senior lifeguard. We’ll provide you with excellent training opportunities to help you progress as you gain experience. At all levels, you’ll learn valuable skills for your future career, at the RNLI or elsewhere.
At times challenging and always rewarding, no two days are the same. To be an RNLI lifeguard you will need:
- to be focused, vigilant and proactive
- to be approachable - someone who enjoys meeting people and helping them stay safe
- to be professional, with excellent rescue and people skills.
- to be over school leaving age. If you’re under 18 years old, we welcome your application, just bear in mind a couple of things: you will need to have parental permission and some locations have fewer posts available to under-18s because of our safeguarding commitment.
- to hold a valid International Life Saving Federation (ILS) recognised beach lifeguard qualification. For equivalent overseas qualifications, please see the ILS equivalency tables for your local beach or surf lifeguard equivalent.
- to pass a fitness and competency test, as well as health and eyesight checks, as the job can be physically demanding.
If you do not yet hold a relevant beach lifeguard qualification you can still apply, but please include in your application how you plan to obtain a qualification.
The RNLI is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Rigorous checks will be undertaken of the successful applicants’ background credentials including an enhanced DBS check. Suitability to work with children may be explored at interview.
If you meet the above requirements and have a passion for helping others through education and rescue, we’d love to have you on our team this season!
Please note: due to the numbers of applications we receive to some of our lifeguard areas, we reserve the right to close vacancies before the given closing date, so if you are interested in being considered, apply today!
The RNLI is committed to safeguarding; ensuring the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk. We expect all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. The suitability of all prospective employees and volunteers will be assessed during the recruitment process in line with this commitment. This will include relevant criminal record checks being carried out dependent on the eligibility of the role. (England & Wales; DBS check, Scotland; Disclosure Scotland PVG, Northern Ireland; Access NI, Republic of Ireland; Garda Vetting).
Our staff and volunteers have been saving lives at sea without prejudice for nearly 200 years. We respect and value diversity of background, skills and perspectives within our teams, and consider it essential to help us deliver a world-class lifesaving service. We are an inclusive organisation and welcome applications from everyone. In addition to having the skills needed for the role, we also look for applicants who share our commitment to living our RNLI values (trustworthy, courageous, selfless, and dependable), and helping us work towards Our Vision: To save every one.